Friday, September 21, 2012

Trends

In class on Wednesday we discussed the different trends within families that have been recognized by social science.  The main ones we discussed are as follows:


Cohabitation - increased
Adults living alone - increased
Marriages being postponed - increased
Household sizes - decreased
Single mothers - increased
Working mothers (especially those with children under 6) - increased
Birth rate - decreased
Premarital sex - increased

One thing that was pointed out by a classmate is a quote from The Family:  A Proclamation to the World.  It reads, "The disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." 

I don't know about you, but it is kind of frightening how messed up the family is becoming.  Even though I did not always get along with my family, I am glad that we lived the way we did:  everyone together and always there for each other when needed.  I never had to worry about having to bounce back and forth between my mom and dad due to divorce.  I never had to come home from school to find nobody there because mom and dad were both at work.  I seem to have "had it easy," but I am glad I did.  It made life as a child less confusing than it likely was for other children who did have to live with those things.



People do not always think about the affect their actions have on others, especially children.  Something that seems like a tiny thing to a parent - like sending their kids to a child care center instead of letting them come home to parents after school - can drastically change the direction that child takes their life.  Family becomes less important to them because it is less important to their parents.  With the way we are depleting the importance of the family, it is no surprise it is falling apart.  When the family is gone, who will we turn to for help?  For comfort?  For support?

No comments:

Post a Comment