Friday, September 21, 2012

Shout Out for Dad

I just have to give a shout of thanks to my dad for always being there for me and my siblings as we grew up. My teacher told us a statistic in class that says, "The number one predictor of poverty is having a father in the home."  It may seem like such a small thing to have a father present in the home, but apparently it is a lot more important than I ever realized.  The fact makes sense, though.

In my Political Science class today we were talking about women's rights and the Equal Rights Amendment (which has not been passed for those who have not heard of it).  Basically it would make men and women equal in all things that have not been determined otherwise by the Supreme Court - things such as women not being part of the draft.  Women today still get paid less than men on average.  for every $1.00 earned by a man, a woman earns $0.76.  Granted, men have higher paying jobs on average than women, but that is exactly the point I am trying to make.  Men are able to earn more than women and are thus able to better support a family.  Without a father in the home, there is less of an income thus making it harder to stay out of poverty.

So once again, thanks Dad for being there.  You have helped make my life better in more ways than one.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post. My Dad means so much to me and it's true we kind of think nothing to big about it because it's normal. But we are lucky and blessed to have good fathers.

    ReplyDelete